Applications Engineer, Automotive TeamPosted on September 27th, 2018
Job Status: Full time opportunity
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, head office
We are an engineering solutions firm providing best in class services in designing, building, and implementing drive and motion solutions, automation solutions, along with custom and integrated technology solutions for our industrial / manufacturing customers.
We believe in innovation and the freedom that technology enables. Guided by our shared values, we aspire to empower our customers and exceed their engineering requirements that shape their operations and businesses.
You are a customer-focused professional eager to take on a new challenge where you can continue to grow your career in delivering innovative controls automation solutions for our Automotive team.
You will actively contribute to project success by preparing and presenting proposals and quotation packages for custom solutions and support of automation systems.
Typical projects may include PLC and HMI upgrades, machine functionality addition, breakdown investigation, safety upgrades, new equipment commissioning, continuous improvement implementation, equipment refurbishment, and machine integration.
You will work collaboratively with our internal teams and our clients to deliver effective solutions with a high level of customer service, efficiency and flexibility. You are resourceful, reliable and enjoy challenges.
- You are passionate about building and preparing proposal packages for custom solutions focused on the automotive industry
- You will work closely with your internal engineering team to ensure quotations are in line with budget targets, processes, capacity plans and timelines to meet customer requirements
- You partner and build effective relationships with customers to provide exceptional guidance and support through various offers, quotations, custom design requests and change orders, and follow-up in a timely manner
- You work collaboratively and liaison with internal and external teams to ensure project specifications, estimations and related communications are addressing issues, changes, and updates to quote packages and work orders
- You are a strong planner and scheduler, you identify and manage risk, while being mindful of quality control, budgeting and resource allocation
- You enjoy participating in customer meetings and add value especially from a technical perspective
- You develop a thorough understanding of Powerhouse Controls’ products and services, existing and potential capabilities, plus benefits and advantages that you confidently convey to the customer
- Be able to use existing tools to generate quotations:
- Develop concepts with Powerhouse Controls resources, as required
- Prepare and submit technical proposals and commercial offers
- Interpret electrical schematics and PLC logic
- Prepare labour and material cost sheets
- Interact with suppliers to obtain major component costs
- Review cost sheets, technical proposal and commercial offer as described in company procedure
- Assist in post order activities, as required:
- As sold cost worksheet and proposal submitted to order service
- Lead the technical and commercial walk-through during project kick-off meetings
- Change order quotations
- Develop and maintain relationships with supplier partners
- Participate in and support continuous improvement initiatives, best practice methodologies and operating procedures
To be an Effective Team Member, You Will:
- Have 3+ years’ experience in applications engineering, ideally for the automotive industry
- Experience preparing and presenting technical and commercial proposals in MS Word and Excel
- Proficient with standard business software and communication tools
- Working knowledge of PLCs, HMI programming, and power and drive components
- Ability to read electrical schematics and component layout drawings
- Possess college diploma or university degree in Engineering or equivalent (preferred but not required)
- In-depth knowledge of successful sales techniques and negotiating skills
- Experience initiating and closing sales opportunities desired (established network of clients is a bonus!)
- You have strong interpersonal and communication skills; you build effective working relationships and take pride in providing excellent customer service and solutions
- Ability to clear travel and security clearance requirements that may be required for the performance of the work (such as valid driver’s license, passport and relevant certifications, permits and safety training compliance)