Project Lead – Controls Design Engineering, Automotive TeamPosted on August 7th, 2018
Job Status: Full time opportunity
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, head office
We are an engineering solutions firm providing best in class services in designing, building, and implementing drive and motion solutions, automation solutions, along with custom and integrated technology solutions for our industrial / manufacturing customers.
We believe in innovation and the freedom that technology enables. Guided by our shared values, we aspire to empower our customers and exceed their engineering requirements that shape their operations and businesses.
You are a customer-focused professional eager to take on a new challenge where you can continue to grow your career in delivering innovative controls automation solutions for our Automotive team.
You will actively contribute to project success in the design, software and hardware development, integration and commissioning support of automation systems and project management for manufacturing industries.
Typical projects may include PLC and HMI upgrades, machine functionality addition, breakdown investigation, safety upgrades, new equipment commissioning, continuous improvement implementation, equipment refurbishment, and machine integration.
You will work collaboratively with your project teams and our clients to deliver effective solutions with a high level of customer service, efficiency and flexibility. You are resourceful, reliable and enjoy challenges.
- You are passionate about effective project management and leadership to deliver projects to customer satisfaction, on time and on budget
- You partner and build effective relationships with customers to provide exceptional guidance and support to start-up, train, diagnose and resolve issues with commissioning and service work
- You work collaboratively to ensure project specifications, schedules, deliverables, communications, reports and processes are addressing issues, changes, updates, and training needs
- You are a strong planner and scheduler, you identify and manage risk, while being mindful of quality control, budgeting and resource allocation
- You enjoy participating in customer meetings and add value especially from a technical perspective
- Work on various stages of automation and control projects in control system design and Bill of Material creation, control system programming (PLC, DCS), HMIs, drives, site commissioning and installation, trouble-shooting, testing and debugging
- Participate in and support continuous improvement initiatives, best practice methodologies and operating procedures
- Drive and support quality, safety and compliance mandates, trainings and procedures
- Majority of work expected: up to 80% PLC and HMI programming and commissioning, 20% hardware design and installation support for automation
To be an Effective Team Member, You Will:
- Have 3 to 5+ years’ experience in controls automation, ideally for automotive industry
- Experience with PLC and HMI programming and commissioning. Knowledge of power and drive components
- Possess a college diploma or university degree in Engineering or equivalent: Electrical / Mechanical / Mechatronics / Computer Engineering. You hold a Professional Engineer or Technologist license (desired)
- Proficiency with project management software, standard business software, communication tools
- Show a strong track record of achieving targets, deadlines and sense of urgency
- Curious, fast-learner, not afraid to ask questions and learn from mistakes. You trouble-shoot effectively and are a strong problem-solver
- You build effective working relationships and take pride in providing excellent customer service and solutions.
- You have a passion for delivering high quality solutions to meet customer satisfaction, on schedule and on budget
- Ability to clear travel and security clearance requirements that may be required for the performance of the work (such as valid driver’s license, passport and relevant certifications, permits and safety training compliance).
- Up to 35% of work expected to be at customer sites (some travel required within the southwestern Ontario region)
Powerhouse encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
We are committed to providing a barrier-free interview process and accommodating applicants’ needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code throughout the selection process. Should you require accommodations during the process, please contact our recruiting team.